Wednesday 27 December 2017

Oathmark Goblin

I picked up some of the new plastic Oathmark Goblins from Osprey/Northstar over Christmas. The kits is excellent.



It's been thoroughly reviewed elsewhere but one thing I knew I wanted to do something about was the integral basing. Each mini stands on a little lozenge of plastic, which presents a modelling problem if you use the thin little Renedra bases included in the box, so I used some recessed 25mm square bases. This allows the model to beglued in place without trimming the plastic, and the base is then easily filled to foot level with sand.


I gave the model a bit more of a modern paintjob than usual, and enjoyed it very much. The shield is a brass drawing pin- I like the included shields, but wanted a smooth surface for the freehand insignia.


7 comments:

  1. Wow...I took one look at the set I bought and thought "nah...can't be bothered to stick all those fiddly bits together." Pity as they shape up as great figures and proper orcses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm inclined to agree. I do appreciate what the release of this set means to the more commercial end of the fantasy Wargaming scene- the appearance of a major new range of hard plastic fantasy miniatures, with a big game on the horizon to back them up, and that has a nice traditional aesthetic is something I'm pleased to see, and keen to encourage to the extent that my wallet allows, but I'm not sure these figures are really for me either. I can get the same functionality out of the old grenadier plastics from EM4, at a fraction of the price, no assembly time and with a pleasingly monopose look that I really like.

      Delete
    2. Agree about those EM4 figures...they are great aren't they? And no fiddly bits to drop when glueing together which then vanish into the carpet portal. The chunky bases are a bit of a sod to cut down though.

      Delete
    3. Totally agree. I got the base removal down to a fine art with a good quality razor saw. The saw had a reinforcing spine which meant that I could lay it flush to my cutting mat, and cut the base of laterally, with the mini standing on the mat too. 20 seconds per mini!

      Delete
  2. These sculpts are very close to how I think goblins/orcs should look and your example is very, very well done (the freehand shield is great). Even so I think I'm gonna stick with Meier's Ral Partha Giant Goblins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You really can't go wrong with Meier!

      Delete
  3. Stellar result. I like that he could easily be the hero of the story, since the clothing and livery are not "dark" and obviously evil.

    ReplyDelete