Wednesday 19 April 2017

A Retro Warband for Dragon Rampant

As I pressed on with the KoW 'Middle Earth Good Guys' army I realised I would soon have enough painted stuff to put together a full 24 point warband for Osprey's brilliant Dragon Rampant game.



I already had plenty of Beornings. I chose six of the unarmed ones to represent two units of 'lesser warbeasts'. Dragon Rampant does include rules to make a unit into 'werebeasts', which I will probably do in the future, if I make some 'man-mode' Beornings to compliment these figures.


I added a unit of Rohan warriors with mail, sword and shield. I use 12 to represent a full regiment in Kings of War, and that's also the recommended number for a foot unit in Dragon Rampant. The Leader with the plumed helmet can lead the warband.



Next I added some Riders of Rohan- lightly armoured with bows. I'll use 5 for a troop in KoW, but adding just one more gives me the recommended strength for a cavalry unit in DR.


Lastly I wanted an Ent. I don't have an original Minifigs Ent, and anyway, they're really a bit too small, so I made this chap from Milliput very quickly ast night. With the right paint job I think he fits in quite well. He counts as a Greater Warbeast in DR, and will be part of an elf ally contingent in my KoW army I think.






The finished Warband! Now for some baddies...


12 comments:

  1. Hey Joe, thought I would take a look at your blogs as you have jumped aboard mine..... we are clearly singing from the same hymn sheet (written by Ian Anderson?). I have shedloads of 70's LOTR figures waiting to be painted, and I love your style..... shiny bright and works of art. The basing is beeeoootiful too (let me know how you do it can you?). As for the Pocket Money General....again, pressing toys into service, scouring ebay for suitable wildlife models.... all brill. I would love to follow your blog publicly, but for some reason Blogger has stopped me doing that, but I have added you to my reading list and await future posts with anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much enjoying all your blogs now, and your ImagiNations stuff is reminding me to revisit my own little collection of glossy Spencer Smiths. Glad you're enjoying the LOTR stuff. The basing is very quick and easy. After the model is painted and varnished (I used to varnish after basing) I just dip the base in a tub of green craft sand, tap off the excess until the model is just standing on a little hillock of green and none of the bare base itself shows, and then drip on just enough very thin superglue to saturate the base. Takes no time at all, and suits the look I think. With previous 'shiny toy soldier' style projects I've simply painted base and mini together as one, painting the base in GW Warboss Green and varnishing all together, but that wasn't ideal for the LOTR project. Apart from the fact that basing using that method needs two coats and isn't as quick as I wanted, the models I'm repainting often have bits of flock still attached to their integral bases and this would need removing completely before basing with the 'green paint' method. With the sand method, the little pile of green sand covers a multitude of sins and I don't need to give the models' bases more than a cursory scrape beforehand.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that. May I also ask what paint you use for silvery armour? I'm trying out different methods. All my 54mm are done with a white undercoat and block painted, and I am veering this way for smaller scales. The Minifigs knights you have done look like Britains figures I saw in a cabinet in some shop when I was a child....just the look I'm after. My other blogs are a bit neglected, but all the figures are in place.....just lacking time!!

      Delete
    3. I've been using Army Painter Plate Mail Metal for all my silver. It's the best metallic paint I've ever used. Very good coverage and flow, very small flake size, so you don't get that 'glitter glue' effect, and doesn't seem to matter much what colour it's going over. Heartily recommended!

      Delete
  2. I really,really like your ent!
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really,really like your ent!
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan- so do my children! I hope the layer of gloss varnish can stand up to their handling...

      Delete
    2. Reminds me of Julia Donaldson's Stick man.

      Delete
    3. Reminds me of Julia Donaldson's Stick man.

      Delete