Wednesday 11 May 2016

10mm Kings of War- board and scenery

Kings of War is probably my favourite wargame- it's certainly the one I play the most. I and a few friends are going to experiment with an idea lots of people have had over the years- converting KoW to a smaller scale. There are lots of reasons to do this: portability; cost; ease of doing really BIG battles. As KoW is element based, it's eminently suited to the idea.

We're going to scale everything down by a division of 2.54, which sounds arbitrary, but it means that inches become centimetres, and movement and range stats stay as they are with no mental arithmetic- you just have to remember to look at the other side of the tape measure!

I've ordered some miniatures (more of which when they arrive) but in the meantime I've knocked up a little set of terrain and scenery, and a board to put them on. The board is the scaled down equivalent of a standard 6'x4' table, so it's 72x48cm. I used 18mm MDF. The hills are 12mm MDF, which means a 'height 1' hill is near-as-dammit the same height as 'height 1' infantry. All were painted with a single £1.49 tester pot of Homebase 'Village Green' emulsion. Very happy with the shade.




I've gone for a clean and simple look- clarity is paramount at such a small scale, and it's a look I like.

The trees are scrunched paper towels, soaked in dilute PVA and stuck to 8mm dowels, mounted on pennies. The 'forest' floor is Efco green felt sheet. The river and lake are also Efco felt sheet- it's thick, lies flat and has an agreeably mottled colour.



The tower was made from an empty salt pot, part of a broken toy mirror and part of a biro lid. You can see I've sanded the salt pot prior to painting.



All in all a satisfactory set with minimal outlay of time, money or effort.

Now I just need an army...

3 comments:

  1. Here I go with 1/4th version, but starting from an army ;)
    http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,14182.0.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look absolutely stunning Lehcyfer. Also very useful, as my brother-in-law was looking to buy some undead from Pendraken but couldn't find any pictures of them on the website. I've directed him to your link. Quarter scale is really small- do you still find moving stuff around easy enough?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't started yet, but they will be moved on magnetic surface, so no slipping and fooling around. I'll just make a dedicated measuring stick, and that's all ;)
    Glad it was helpful, I am happy you like the paint job :)

    ReplyDelete