Monday, 8 January 2018

Family Photo

Here are my marines so far (less two tac marines that have seemingly gone AWOL), representing their chapter, the Stormwatch. I've plans to swell their ranks in the coming year, and possibly even add a scratchbuilt Imperial Knight...


Friday, 5 January 2018

Stormhawk Interceptor

I wanted to add a flyer to my Space Marines, and I liked the sound of the Stormhawk Interceptor. I started with a kit from Daemonscape, which was originally sold in the 90s by GZG. You can find it here as 'VTOL Gunship A' for £9.99. It was a reasonably close match for size and shape to the proper model. The kit comes with two main hill parts which stick together, top onto bottom, with a flat join. I cut a piece of 3mm plasticard to be neatly sandwiched between the halves, adding wings and fins to bring it closer to the GW kit and give it some size.


The weaponry on the Stormhawk consists of a lascannon type thing, assault cannon and missile launcher. Luckily these are probably the easiest weapons to scratchbuild recognisably. I used pen lids, plastic cake-pop sticks and a piece of Lego to make those. I'm quite pleased with it- let's see how quickly it gets shot off the table!


Wednesday, 27 December 2017

Oathmark Goblin

I picked up some of the new plastic Oathmark Goblins from Osprey/Northstar over Christmas. The kits is excellent.



It's been thoroughly reviewed elsewhere but one thing I knew I wanted to do something about was the integral basing. Each mini stands on a little lozenge of plastic, which presents a modelling problem if you use the thin little Renedra bases included in the box, so I used some recessed 25mm square bases. This allows the model to beglued in place without trimming the plastic, and the base is then easily filled to foot level with sand.


I gave the model a bit more of a modern paintjob than usual, and enjoyed it very much. The shield is a brass drawing pin- I like the included shields, but wanted a smooth surface for the freehand insignia.


Friday, 22 December 2017

Warhammer Fantasy Battle 2nd edition

I've just taken delivery of a little eBay bargain- a copy of the second edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battle from 1984. I didn't know much about it before now. I have the 3rd edition from 1988 already and that's the one that the Oldhammer lads usually rave about. First impressions are that is a more slight production than 3rd (that book really is visual and lore feast), and the Old World is less crystallised than in future editions, but several things have already piqued my interest. It has a more laissez-faire approach to army building and a formula for costing just about troops or monsters you might have minis for. The army lists are very vague. Later on the Ravening Hordes supplement brought the army lists closer to what we'd recognise, but I quite like the fuzziness of the lore at this stage in Warhammer history. I'm going to have a closer look and see if it's something I'll look at playing, or whether it's just a nostalgic curio for the shelf. 

Tuesday, 12 December 2017

RTB01 Sternguard

A squad of Sternguard Veterans made using the original 1987 RTB01 space marine plastic kit. Such a pleasure to build and paint.


Monday, 27 November 2017

scouts and devastators

More for my marines- a squad of scouts and some Devastators with Lascannon and Plasma cannon, made from the old '90s Grenadier plastic Space Rangers, still available at a bargain price from EM4!


Thursday, 23 November 2017

Toybashed Retro Dreadnought

I wanted to add a Dreadnought to my old fashioned Space Marine army, and I wanted it to be vaguely reminiscent of the old Rogue Trader ones sculpted back in the 80s by Bob Naismith- or at least to look as through they might conceivably have been designed in the same solar system, within the same millennium!


I started keeping an eye out for bits, and found an old broken toy that I liked the look of, and worked out was one of these (on the right)


The size was good, the face looked suitably robotic and '80s-looking and it had overtones of M.A.S.K., which was no bad thing.

I nicked the legs from one of these (in the middle) that I'd found on eBay very cheaply from Singapore.


I stuck them together with a pelvis made from two 25mm hex bases, and added two Assault Cannon barrels left over from when I converted my Space Crusade marines to Lascannons.


After the usual quick paint job and varnish, I'm pretty pleased!